CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Spiders, Bats and Ghosts Oh My! Free Halloween Craft Project

So I got this great idea from one of my myspace buddies to make spiders from Styrofoam balls. I have had the stuff forever and have been meaning to do them but we finally had some free time tonight.

Our spiders turned into more then just spiders tho. We have ghosts and bats and pumpkins and ghouls and some special Jordan creations.

So seeing how it is Halloween and these are super easy, fun and kid friendly, I am doing my first ever free craft project!

Spiders, Bats and Ghosts Oh My!

Supplies,
Styrofoam balls, assorted sizes.
Acrylic paints in assorted colors.
Paint brushes
Foam brushes
Hot glue gun
Pipe cleaners
Stick on Crystals
Googly eyes
Glitter Pens
Puffy Paints
Tissue Paper
(Basically any fun things you have around the house for decoration)
Something to cover your workspace with, we used up some of our plastic grocery bag stash from when I forget my shopping bags.

1. Paint all of your Sytrofoam balls with a layer of your acrylic paint using your foam brushes.
2. Allow to completely dry (trust me or you will have painty fingers like we did :) )
Decorate with you random gathered supplies.

For Pumpkins, use 2-4 1 inch pieces of green pipe cleaner together pushed about halfway down into the top of an orange ball. You can pull them out after you make the hole and pipe in some hot glue to secure the pipe cleaners in.
Paint on your pumpkin face.


For Ghosts, use a white ball, paint on a ghostly face. Optional, glue tissue paper streamers about a foot long cut into strips to the bottom of the ball to give it a ghostly appearance.



For Spiders, cut 2 pipe cleaners in half. Fold all four pieces in half again. Piece two folded pipe cleaners together for each side. Bend into spider leg shape (think like a chair with the back, seat and front legs). Bend the tops down about 1/4 to 1/3 inch and stick into opposite sides of the ball. Secure with glue before adjusting legs.



For Bats, Bend 2 pipe cleaners at the same time for a uniform shape. Make your first bend about 3 inches down into a V. Bend the bottom half of the wing into this shape VVVVV. Cut off excess and place one wing on each side of Bat, securing with glue. Cut 2 1" pieces, fold into v shapes and place on top of head for ears. I used two tiny scraps stuffed in the face for fangs (this would be a good idea for spider fangs too.)


Use your imagination and be sure to send me pictures of what you make!


Tori's Ghoul

My eyeballs.
Oh and I almost forgot. Colby and I finally made our Pirate ship that I got as a kit last year on clearance from JoAnn Fabrics.

1 comments:

Alexa said...

Looks like you had a blast! I loved seeing your creations. Thanks for participating in the contest. I plan to have a couple more before Halloween is over, so check back to my blog :)

Love me some Lady Gaga too.